Creating a job advertisement is not just a task, it’s an art. It is a delicately tailored message with the intention of attracting the most eligible applicants for the open position. The magnitude of a well written job ad shouldn’t be overlooked. The job ad is your opportunity to interact and connect with an audience filled with potential candidates. A lasting impression of your company culture is formed from this one advertisement, so it is crucial to put a great deal of effort into creating it.
Here are 5 general rules to create a killer job advertisement within minutes:
1. Create Excitement. Use attention-getting tactics to draw candidates in and want to learn more about the position. Get creative; if your job advertisement is boring, then why should the candidate even take the time to apply?
2. Keep it Simple, Stupid. Keep the job description succinct, short, and easy to read. Remember, candidates are quickly skimming job advertisements on a daily basis. Long, lengthy paragraphs require too much effort, and the potential candidate will quickly move onto the next one after reading the first couple of sentences. Highlight specific qualities you want in the candidate, and address it. Approach this as the elevator speech in an interview: You want to highlight the important specifics while keeping it under a paragraph.
3. Emphasize the Organization. Why is this organization worth working for? What sets this specific company apart from other companies? Is the company culture different than others? These are all questions that need to be addressed in the company description of job advertisement. Highlight all of the positives of the company, the organization’s accomplishments or awards, and potential goals or growth opportunities. Again, keep this short and simple. Basically, define what makes this opportunity better than all the others.
4. SEO is KEY. You want your job advertisement to be found. Not just by anybody; by the right candidates. In order to receive prime traffic from search engines and job boards, your job titles need to be written especially for the candidate. Learn the lingo of your target audiences by performing a keyword search. This will help you determine what expressions your job seekers are using in their hunt for potential job listings. Leverage this information to ensure your job advertisement will receive the utmost, targeted traffic.
5. Be Honest. Being honest in your job posting will instantly produce truthful expectations and increase the company’s credibility. Do not inflate the position or the company. Be true to the organization and you will definitely recruit the candidate that is the perfect fit for the position.
Now that you’ve gotten the material of the job advertisement down pat, use Ultra-Staff to effortlessly post these jobs advertisements to your website, CareerBuilder®, social media sites and more! What are you waiting for? Start recruiting!
Megan Curth is the Marketing Coordinator of Automated Business Designs, Inc., software developer of Ultra-Staff software for the staffing and direct hire industry. Ultra-Staff is a staffing software business solution with components for front office, back office and the web. Megan’s email address is email@example.com or for more information on Ultra-Staff go to www.abd.net